Short Bread Cookies
3/4 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. With electric mixer, mix together the butter and 1 cup of sugar until they are just combined. Add the vanilla.
3. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour and salt, then add them to the butter-and-sugar mixture.
4. Mix on low speed until the dough starts to come together.
5. Dump onto a surface dusted with flour and shape into a flat disk. Wrap in plastic and chill for 30 minutes. Roll the dough 1/2-inch thick and cut with a 3 by 1-inch finger-shaped cutter. Place the cookies on an ungreased baking sheet and sprinkle with sugar. Or, roll the dough into a long, 2-inch cylinder before refrigerating. Once chilled, slice the cylinder into 1/4-inch circles. Place the cookies on an ungreased baking sheet and sprinkle with sugar. And finally, you can press dough into 9 inch pan then slice once cooled for cookie bars to dip, or serve with fruit and ice cream.
6. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the edges begin to brown. Allow to cool to room temperature.