I found this one on an Indian food blog (Edible Garden, website is www.cookingandme.com), few years ago. This is my daughter’s favorite and even my Indian mother-in-law thinks this is delicious. I always makes this with basmati rice and nan or roti. Our Costco sells the roti bread in the freezer section. Super easy to pull out and warm on the griddle.
1 box of frozen chopped spinach
1 big onion – chopped
1 big tomato – chopped
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
3 or 4 green chillies
1 cup paneer – cubed and sautéed until brown
1 tsp red chilli powder (adjust to taste)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp garam masala powder
1 tsp paprika
1/2 cup half and half
1. Thaw the spinach in the microwave. Pour oil in a pan and sauté until soft. If you are using frozen spinach it’s important you use the chopped variety.
2. Fry the onions and tomatoes till tender.
3. Add the red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, paprika, green chillies and ginger garlic paste and sauté until well blended.
4. Cool and make a paste of this sautéed mixture.(use food processor)
5. Add oil in a pan and cook this paste till the raw smell disappears.
6. Transfer the reserved spinach, add salt and half and half and let it boil.
7. You can add water if you feel the gravy is thick.
8. Add the paneer pieces and mix well.
9. Serve with roti or pulao.